I am very happily employed working with the Alfresco Community. It is a fun job, a great open source company, and a rapidly maturing start-up.
It is unlikely that you will have an opportunity that is more appealing to me than where I am now. It would need to allow be a small and growing company, working on code under an open source license, be able to stay in Utah, regularly work from home, travel less than 1 week a month, work with a global team, and involve a mix of development, analysis, and management. I enjoy being in a decision making role and mentoring teammates. Python would be a big plus.
I am currently too busy to take contract work.
If you feel like reaching out, I promise to be polite. And if I have a minute I will even try and think of someone else that can meet your need.
Thank you for your interest.
Metaphorically speaking, I have finished my apprenticeships, and am now a journeyman on my way to becoming a master. My toolbag is packed and I'm ready to go where I'm needed. I enjoy the diversity of experience that comes from helping anybody who has a need.
I do my consulting under the name Esplin Technology, LLC. Though I am an advocate for pricing transparency, rates vary based on my availability, and the size of the project. I have learned that an accurate rate can only be given as part of a conversation.
As you can see from my resume, I am a generalist with experience in almost all parts of the software development lifecycle. The hats I most often wear are labeled:
- Software Engineer
- Systems Administrator
- Project Manager
My key interests are:
- Open source software development
- Linux administration and deployment
- Agile project management (Scrum)
- System security
Ways I can help your business include:
- Networking: setup, filtering, troubleshooting, email hosting, web presence
- File server and backup administration
- Phone setup: Asterisk VOIP and PBX
- Equipment purchasing and repair
- Workflow automation
- Technology training
- Custom application development
I have experience supporting clients with Linux, OSX, and Windows.
I would love the opportunity to discuss your needs with you. My contact information is on my resume.
Some projects I have worked on:
- In 2009, I provided on-site software support for the contracting professionals of the Veterans Administration located in Austin, Texas. As part of my duties, I provided desk-side support and training for eCMS, the electronic contract managment system. I also prepared reports using Excel VBA, Python, and SQLite.
- In 2008, I acted as a Data Analyst and assisted Centeva and
Synteras to provide a statistically
valid independent validation and verification audit of data reported to FPDS
by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Over three billion dollars of
acquisitions were audited across five offices. In addition to producing a
detailed view of the current state of reporting, the team's experts also
provided recommendations for improvement. Key technologies I employed on this
- XML archive imports,
- Real-time SOAP interfaces,
- A cross platform PyQt application with an embedded SQLite database,
- Various SQL reports on the data, delivered as spreadsheets.